Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Music Video Analysis: "Crossfire" by Brandon Flowers



Brandon Flowers
(album title Flamingo)
I have been obsessed with this album lately. Brandon Flowers is the lead singer of The Killers, a band I was never that into. But I heard an interview with him on NPR and was intrigued by the concept of his solo album, which came out in summer 2010. Brandon Flowers grew up near Las Vegas, and the album is sort of a tribute to his hometown. He explores all sides of the city: the excitement, the excesses, the people who are down on their luck and can't get out of that town. I really connected with this album because I love Vegas and its mythology. I bought the album just before our trip to Vegas in October. Now, this album reminds me of being on that trip, which is why I literally couldn't listen to anything else during my three or four weeks of post-Vegas vacation withdrawal. (Yes, it took that long. I needed another break, apparently).

This music video is for the major single off the album, "Crossfire." It's not my favorite song, but since the music video came with it, I thought I'd watch and analyze it.

There’s a still in the street outside your window
You’re keepin’ secrets on your pillow
Let me inside, no cause for alarm
I promise tonight not to do no harm
I promise you baby, I won't be no harm

And we're caught up in the crossfire
Of heaven and hell
And were searching for shelter
Lay your body down...

Watching your dress as you turn down the light
I forget all about the storm outside
Dark clouds roll their way over town
Heartache and pain came pouring down like
Chaos in the rain, yeah
They're handing it out

And we're caught up in the crossfire
Heaven and hell
And were searching for shelter
Lay your body down...

Tell the devil that he can go back from where he came
His fire he airs all through their beating vein.
And when the hardest part is over we'll be here
And our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears

The video is pretty interesting and not at ALL what I expected. In short, it features Charlize Theron repeatedly saving Brandon Flowers from various ninja attacks. It's shot like a mini-movie with different scenarios: in each one, Brandon is tied up, bloody and bruised, and Charlize Theron appears out of nowhere to kick ninja ass. She is dressed in pants and a tank top that's somewhat revealing but not overly so, and she's wearing minimal makeup. Throughout all this, Brandon is the man-in-waiting. He needs her to rescue him, and he smiles appreciatively at her when she does, but they never kiss or anything. They exchange some meaningful looks that suggest these "characters" have a history, but none of it is shown in the video. At the end, they drive off in a car together.

"Crossfire" is a love song, but it seems this video has turned things around by making the male the one who is waiting to be found and loved. Brandon's character is very passive. The song starts by the male promising to do no harm, and that's the only part where he is singing along. Even though I think this video is a little goofy, the idea intrigues me. Brandon Flowers is known for being a flamboyant showman with The Killers (wearing eyeliner, the whole bit), but in this video, he's dirty, helpless, and beat up. Perhaps he's trying to show a more vulnerable side? (Swoon!) This video seems like an attempt to create a softer image of the lead singer of a rock band. Since this is his first solo album, it's trying to set him apart from his image with The Killers.

I think it'd be fun to have students analyze a music video like this that tells a story. (Another one that comes to mind is "The Scientist" by Coldplay). They would watch the video on mute first and infer the relationship between the characters. Then they'd follow along with the lyrics and see how they contribute additional meaning to the story being told in the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment